Ambassador Tour Guides
After training and mentoring, the volunteers in this group work with the public in interpreting the history, development, and importance of this plantsman’s garden. They can be identified in Darts Hill Garden Park by their friendly faces and pink pashminas (scarves). Depending on experience, the members of this group will serve in one or more of the following roles:
(a) Guide ambassadors – wander at large in the garden, interacting with visitors, offering information, and answering questions about Mr. and Mrs. Darts, the garden, its plants, and its development.
(b) Leisure tour guides – guide one-hour tours on public open days or two-hour private tours to family, community, or seniors’ groups.
(c) Golf cart guides – take up to three people on one-hour golf cart tours through the garden.
(d) Horticultural guides – provide two-hour tours to knowledgeable groups such as garden clubs, arborists, and horticultural societies.
Responsibilities: (depending upon role being performed)
- Using training materials and attending training tours to learn about the garden and its plants.
- Visiting the garden regularly for self-learning and preparation for tours and events.
- Interacting with the public in a friendly, confident, and professional manner.
- Representing the Darts Hill Garden Conservancy Trust Society (DHGCTS) and the City of Surrey, presenting a positive first impression.
- Guiding groups or individuals through the garden’s pathways, pointing out some of its interesting, rare, and important plants.
- Educating visitors about the history and development of Darts Hill Garden Park.
- Driving golf cart tours through accessible paths, stopping to point out areas of special interest; and ensuring the golf cart is operated safely and is properly put away and charged for the next user.
- Arriving early to open the garden and facilities for private groups, and closing at the end of the tour.
- Basic plant knowledge and the time and interest to learn more about plants in the garden.
- Desire to share knowledge about Darts Hill Garden Park.
- Comfortable speaking informally to small groups.
- Flexible and able to adapt to varying groups and their needs.
- Organized, independent, and responsible.